Two Companies and a Director prosecuted for fire safety breaches in HMO.

Camden Council recently prosecuted two companies and their director for managing a house which posed a serious fire risk to its tenants and fined them more than £32,000.

The two companies were found guilty of eight offences relating to the neglect of fire safety precautions.

The house, in Swiss Cottage in London, did not feature a fire detection or alarm system, there were no fire doors and potentially flammable materials were unsafely stored in cupboards.

In addition the only smoke alarm in the property was not working and there were no escape routes from the upper floors.

The three-storey town house, designed to be occupied by one family, was let to seven tenants through two management companies, BP Associates Ltd and Blix Ltd. Alex Begun was a director of both companies.

Camden Council’s enforcement team discovered the fire risks after carrying out a detailed inspection and found it had been let as an HMO, but without planning consent.