Sheffield landlord fined for exposing tenants to gas dangers

A Sheffield landlord who failed to ensure gas appliances at a property he rented out were safe and fit for purpose was today prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Mohammed Ikram, of Shiregreen Terrace, Shiregreen, exposed a tenant living on Morrison Avenue, Maltby, to the potential risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. He did not have the gas fire, combination boiler and associated flues regularly checked and certified by a registered Gas Safe engineer.

Rotherham Magistrates Court heard that he did not respond to two requests by HSE to get the appliances checked. This resulted in an Improvement Notice being issued on 3 June 2009, requiring Mr Ikram to ensure these appliances were legal.

However, he ignored the notice and when it expired on 16 July 2009 the necessary safety checks still hadn’t been carried out – a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Mr Ikram pleaded guilty to breaching the Improvement Notice and also breaching section 36(3)(a) of the 1998 regulations. He was fined £350 and ordered to pay £750 in costs.

After the hearing HSE Inspector Steve Kay said:

“Mr Ikram blatantly disregarded a law designed to protect his tenant from the potentially fatal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning. Landlords are legally required to ensure the gas appliances at properties they own are checked and certified at least once a year to ensure they are working properly and safely.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill, and it’s completely unacceptable that Mr Ikram chose to put others at risk – especially as he had ample opportunity to comply with the Improvement Notice.

“Today’s prosecution shows that we can and will prosecute landlords who neglect their health and safety responsibilities, and we hope it serves as a warning to others.”

Gas engineers undertaking gas work must be registered with the Gas Safe Register, a HSE approved body.