Safety checks… How often are you doing them?
Is there evidence of daily, weekly and monthly checks safety & fire checks and are they up to date?
Reason for This Question
It is important to regularly check the Premises and equipment to ensure that defects are identified and rectified before any accident arises.
Red: No checks being recorded
Amber: Some checks being undertaken but records not up to date and /or defects not being rectified and signed off
Green: Checks being completed and records up to date
- No evidence of safety checks being carried out
- No system in place for carrying out safety checks
- No documentation
- No specified methodology for recording safety checks or following through
45.71% of businesses failed this question based on our sample data.
How to Stay Compliant
It is important to regularly check your premises and equipment to ensure that defects are identified and rectified before any accident arises. Checks, defects and remedial actions should be documented.
Example safety check tests
- Has the weekly internal fire safety walk been completed?
- Has the weekly external fire safety walk been completed?
- Has a public area walk been completed for slips, trips & hazards from fixtures and fittings?
- Has a check to identify hazards outside the building been completed?
- Have all entrance doors been checked as working correctly?
- Has a staff area walk been completed for slips, trips & hazards from fixtures and fittings?
- Have all passenger and goods lifts been checked as working correctly?
- Have the Weekly/Monthly fire safety tests and records been completed? Weekly fire alarm test, Fire equipment inspection (visual), Fire doors checked
- Have all issues arising from any accident investigations been reported and followed up?
- Have new starters had all aspects of safety training relevant to their job identified and completed?
- Has the Monthly Health & Safety Committee meeting been held?
Health and safety, fire safety, risk assessment reviews and periodic checks can be completed be on the PYRAMID™ Online Risk Management System. The system is available as part of our Health and Safety Management System packages.
This post is part of the “Focus on Health and Safety Audit Questions” series.