Luton pre-school found to have insufficient fire equipment
Fire safety equipment at a pre-school in Luton could have had “serious consequences”, a report has revealed. Ofsted inspectors visited Butely Road Pre-School after a tip off that fire equipment was not up to an acceptable standard- meaning that children were not evacuated when the fire alarm for adjoining Pirton Hill Infant School sounded.
The fault has since been fixed by the manager of the pre-school but inspectors have issued a grave warning over the incident, which “put children and staff at immediate risk and could have had serious consequences in different circumstances.”
A previous Ofsted report of of the school read: “The provider failed to check that sufficient action was taken following previous examples when the fire alarm bell was difficult to hear. The pre-school has not fully developed a shared understanding and responsibility of how to protect children with the host school.” raising fears that the situation had presented itself previously.
Inspectors added that this was in breach of legal requirements set by the Childcare Register, urging the pre-school to “ensure premises and equipment used for the purposes of the childcare are safe and suitable for that childcare”.
A Luton Borough Council spokesperson said: “During a recent activation of the fire alarm at 4.30pm, one of the alarm sounders in one room of the pre-school stopped working – although the visual alarm in the room was flashing, and bells were sounding in all the other areas of the building and could be heard in the Pre School.