Kent Landlord Fined Over Fire Safety Failures

A landlord has been fined £1,550 for failing to ensure his property was fire safe.

Jawid Sied, of Northdown Road in Cliftonville, was prosecuted at Margate Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service said the fine was for failing to ensure fire safety measures were in place at a property in Northdown Road he was renting out to multiple occupants.

John Pereira, the service’s head of technical fire safety, said: “We welcome the size of the penalty as this sends a message to housing landlords across the county that they must take fire safety seriously or we will prosecute them.

“We are currently working with Mr Sied to ensure the property in question is brought up to the required standards.”